Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Another Update on my Progress

I am done coding for the night, but I changed some stuff and put it live (the source is still not available, there is one thing left I want to do before I publish the source for everyone, ill get to that).  The new features in what went live on my server today is new game launchers for Windows and Mac.  If you just run the Jar file the game is actually running slower than it is supposed to because Java throttles it.  My launchers tell Java to not throttle the game so it runs much better.

Now premium users do not need the proxy to log into the game or a server using the proxy.  The client proxy is required to see the skins of everyone on the server (unless other users are premium).  What happens is when you log into the game without the proxy the skin requests go to minecraft.net rather than my server.  So only skins that are hosted on minecraft.net will show unless you are using the proxy.  It just makes things much easier if you just want to play and do not have the proxy handy or do not want to download the proxy on someone else's computer.  And yes this does mean that premium users can use the web-app version of the game to log into any server running my proxy.

Skin management is a lot better now.

As for that last feature before I release the source code I can do it in a few ways and would like some feedback on how you guys want it implemented.  The feature is a way for the auth server to update itsself when a new version of Minecraft comes out so I do not need to release a new version every time Minecraft gets updated (this also fixes the constant "update minecraft, Yes/No?" problem).  It is seriously one number that the auth server passes to the client that needs to get updated, so it is something I can automate.  I can implement it so this goes off automatically when Mojang releases a new version.  Or so the admin can run it manually after the new version comes out and the admin decides to upgrade the auth server.  Or I can have it randomly check when users login (say once a month or so) for a new version.

Once that is done (and it is much easier than it sounds to implement so it should be fast), then I can start working on those server lists I keep promising (I have a lot of ideas, those server lists are going to be great if I can get everything I want to do working).

On a side note a friend of mine and I are going to start working on a bukkit plugin (we think thats how we want to do it) that will essentially enable cross-game-server chat abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment